Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My 3 yr old Beagle ate some corn cob 3 days ago. She has been

My 3 yr old Beagle ate some corn cob 3 days ago. She has been constipated since. I took her to a local vet and an x-ray should a small piece of cob at the small intestine and a gas bubble. They gave her an enema and no cob came out. Subsequent x- rays showed cob piece moved.
They told me to fed a bland diet with some bread and keep an eye on her.
The dog still gas not pooped. It drinks lots of water, eats and seems in no discomfort.
Should i be concerned? Should I authorize exploratory surgery?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help.

Dr. Christian K. :

How much does she weigh? Did the cob piece move farther down the intestinal tract?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hopefully you are able to see my questions. Sometimes the chat function is a little buggy.

I've ended the chat and switched to this mode. Please reply back and we can continue with your questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Weight is 22 lbs. not sure where cob piece moved too as it didnt show up on post enema xray. She ate tonight at 5pm had lots of exercise today but still hasnt deficated
Thank you for the information.
Is she trying to defecate but can't?
Has she had any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Vomited twice in 3 days. No vomiting today. Had very tiny stool yesterday. She urinates a lot and does try to defecate a few times
The only thing that worries me is that she is trying to defecate but can't. Everything else sounds very good. The typical problems would be vomiting, lethargy and belly pain. I'd recommend having her rechecked tomorrow by your vet to make sure there isn't a blockage causing her to attempt to defecate. I don't think she needs to be seen tonight. Of course, if she manages to pass a large stool between now and tomorrow then everything should be fine.
If you have more questions please feel free to reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any thing i can try to help move move its digestive tract on ?
Canned pumpkin is a great choice so keep doing that. You can also add a teaspoon of metamucil with her food and that may help as well. Corn cob can be very tricky because it doesn't really digest, it just has a tendency to block things up. Luckily it sounds like things moved after the enema so I think she'll be fine. Especially since she sounds like she is feeling pretty good.
Hi Maxk,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jdog. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Follow up visit showed corn cob piece working its way thru large intestine. Gas bubble significantly reduced. Wait and see if it passes on its own. Still eating and drinking with no vomiting. Continuing with bland diet with pumpkin and some wheat bread. Passing small stools so they are thinking a partial obstruction.