Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

If I gave my dog Advil yesterday not knowing it was bad for

If I gave my dog Advil yesterday not knowing it was bad for her! She was limping. What should I do? She is not eating today and very lethargic. 8 year old lab mix.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Twinkie weigh?
2- How many milligrams of Advil did you give?
3- Is she still limping?
4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Twinkie is a medium size lab. Averages about 65 lbs. She has a lot of black on her gums but they still have color. She has had a slight limp for a while and couldn't get into the back of the car this weekend. We had to fold down the seats so she could "walk" into the back with help. I put two 200 mg Advil in some cheese when I took some never knowing it was bad for her!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Lynda, we begin to get concern about kidney failure when the ingested dose of Advil is above 125mg/kg. In doses below that we tend to see abdominal pain, ulceration, etc. highly unlikely for this to be fatal. The dose Twinkie took based on her weight was 13mg/kg, this will not cause kidney failure but it can cause abdominal pain, ulcers, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1.5 (one & half) tablet every 12 hours for 7-10 days. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
3- Change her diet to a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef for a few days.
4- Have her checked by family veterinarian they can give her medication for the lameness. In the meantime rest her, no running or jumping for the next 4 weeks. If cost is a concern consider having her checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When we went outside she threw up some foamy substance. Does this change any of your advice?

Thank you for your help! I was so afraid I had hurt her. We will make arrangements with our vet in the morning. Just wanted to make sure we didn't need to find her tonight. It's a small town with limited options.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
No, vomiting further supports my advice. If she is vomiting withhold the food and water for 4-6 hours. Start her on Pepcid AC as described above. Then, introduce a bland diet as described above.

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lynda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Twinkie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter