Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

What would cause a change in stool from regular dark brown

What would cause a change in stool from regular dark brown to a yellowish brown hard road apples?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- Has Chewy had a change in diet?
- Is Chew up to date with deworming treatments?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He got a hold of a bone about 3 days ago..that would be the only change in diet..He hasn't been wormed in a few years.

Hi again Zita,

Thanks for your quick reply regarding Chewy. If there hasn't been a diet change, then this fecal color change is likely due to the bone. If Chewy managed to ingest the entire bone this can make the feces extremely firm and potentially even cause constipation. The mere color of the bone can cause the feces to turn either very pale yellow/white (depending on how much bone was ingested) to a lighter shade of brown - as seems to be the case here.

This fecal color change should settle in the next 3 - 4 days if this was primarily just due to the bone - so long as he doesn't eat any other bones during this time. If he is struggling to defecate (poop), then you may need to switch him to a soft, wet food for a while (instead of biscuits), and perhaps even add a little Metamucil to his food twice daily, or add on a little cooked, mashed pumpkin. The high insoluble fiber content in these additives will help to get things moving for him again.

Finally - make sure he doesn't get any other bones if possible. Also be sure to keep him up to date with deworming treatments and get this done today if you can. You can use a reliable product like Drontal or Milbemax which you should be able to get from your local Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi Zita,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewy. How is everything going?

Pet Doc