Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My dog was recently diagnosed with tumor on spleen. He is 10

My dog was recently diagnosed with tumor on spleen. He is 10 years/9 months old. He is relartively healthy other than that. Still eating/drinking and showing interest in life. I know that eventually if he does not have this removed he will hemorage. But would it be fair to put him through that type of surgery (money not being an issue since I have pet health insurance) given his age. My family recommends that he just bied his time and keep him as comfortable as possible until its time to put him to sleep without much suffereing. My concience on the other hand tells me that if I don't give him this operation even with the risks that I am possibly cheating him out of more time. The tumor may be benign since it is a larger one but thats no quarantee. Quality of life vs quantity. I want to do right by my best friend. What can you advise?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

First I am so very sorry for this diagnosis

Dr. Altman :

DO you know if Samson had an ultrasound to ensure there are no other tumors on the liver or heart? Which is where the splenic tumors often spread to?

Dr. Altman :

If the answer is yes and the heart and liver are normal I am a whole-hearted believer in surgery

Dr. Altman :

As you mentioned because it is a bigger tumor the chance for it being benign is higher and he could live several more years without any issues and pass from other causes such as senior arthritis

Dr. Altman :

I have removed several of these that were benign and the dogs lived 1+ years longer

Dr. Altman :

As far as recovery, it is similar to a spay but a larger incision and is easier to restrict a 10+ year old dog versus a 6 month old pup!

Dr. Altman :

I can tell you I had a dog at his age and had the tumor and spleen removed and the dog lived 2 & 1/2 more years

Dr. Altman :

She passed of other causes and really after the first few days recovered quite smoothly

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions but I do think that surgery is something you should seriously consider if the financial strain is something you can manage

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats to ensure you are not having difficulties with live chat

Customer:

Thank you very much for that advice

Customer:

it sounds encouraging

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
You are very welcome. Can I assist with any additional questions today?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Yes, definitely is encouraging. I am a firm believer of knowledge is power and if you don't try the surgery you would never know if it will effects Samson's lifespan. In addition, the larger tumors can cause some discomfort even if benign and the short term acute pain of surgery is not going to last long versus the more chronic pain of an abdominal mass on the intestinal tract, liver, etc.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. I apologize for the delay, I did not get an e-mail that you had responded again.

If you are satisfied with our conversation please "rate" our chat so I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!
Hi Ron,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Samson. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Samson underwent surgery (splenectomy) on November 24th. He passed due to post surgery complications on November 28th at 4:00am. He was just beginning to improve (drinking and some eating) with his red cell count on the rise when they believed that he suddenly died of a clot. I went to the vetrinary hospoital and took his poor body home and had him creamated the next day. My best friend of 10 years and 10 months (my boy is gone). The pathology report came in a few days later saying that the biopsy results were a splenic hemangiosarcoma. Sam's doctor told me that if he had survive the post opp period, he would have died a few months later, if that, with that diagnosis. Please don't contact me again.