Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My 9 month old spinone was spayed yesterday. She is very

My 9 month old spinone bitch was spayed yesterday. She is very reluctant to get up (although we have tried to get her into the garden we had to carry her back in) and although eating and drinking normally she has not urinated yet since coming home. She is also panting and whining intermittently. Is this normal?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. It isn't uncommon for a bitch to be quieter a couple of days after this surgery. As you can imagine, it is actually quite an involved surgery opening up the abdomen and removing the entire uterus and ovaries! Humans are typically in hospital for a least a week after hysterectomys. My main concern with Betty here however, is that she is likely a little painful given that she is reluctant to get up and is pacing and whining.

If your Vet gave you some anti inflammatory medication for your girl to give to her post operatively, then make sure you continue to give this as directed. In many cases however, a bitch will not be sent home with anti inflammatories. If that is the case for Betty, then given her symptoms, I would definitely recommend you call your local Vet tomorrow (if they are open on Sunday) and ask for a prescription for metacam or a similar oral anti inflammatory for your girl.

Also - in the meantime, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If she is really pale, or panting all of the time, then you would be better to play it safe and have her checked by your local after hours Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Hi Susy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Betty. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Much better - thank you so much for all your advice - she was I think allergic to the dressing that was covering the stitches - on your advice we took her to the after hours vet and they gave her some more painkiller and took the dressing off as well so thank you very much for your help. My next problem is to now stop her bouncing around the house chewing everything instead of being walked, but that's not a bad problem to have! Thank you again so much.

Great to hear Susy and thanks for the update.

She is happy and bouncy - that has to be a good thing :-)

Do let me know if you every have any other questions regarding your girl in the future. You can reach me any time via my profile.

Kind Regards,

Dr E