Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my 7year old dachund had a tooth pulled a month ago, had 10

my 7year old dachund had a tooth pulled a month ago, had 10 days of antibiotics. noticed about 5 days ago he is losing his hair in patches. tummy, neck, front elbow. what would cause this?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, my first impression would definitely not make me thing of any complication from the dental extraction or the use of antibiotics.

I would be far more suspicious for problems like environmental or food allergies, and les likely manage (mites).
Also, for a doxie, I would be a bit suspicious for a internal issue like hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) or Cushing's disease (when the body is producing excessive amounts of its own steroids from the adrenal glands). Both conditions are seen in doxie's.

So, if not itching, chewing or licking, than recommending a antihistamine will be of little benefit. If Deisel is itching or licking a lot, let me know, and I can make a few suggestions.

Otherwise, it does sound like you'll need to get back into a vet for further evaluation. That might need to include a blood profile with a thyroid level.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks so much I will do that. He seems to be in pain will jump-up on things but does'nt like to jump down. Looks like it is painfull

Hi Kay,
That is likely a completely separate issue which could a hindlimb or a spinal problem like a disc herniation causing pain.

That will definitely need to be evaluated, and I would expect a vet to probably recommend a trial with a pain medication and/or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory to help out a bit.

Sorry to hear about all these issues.
Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it helped very much at least I know how to ask the right questions when I take him in Have a very good day Kay

You bet.

Good Luck and I hope everything works out okay Kay.