Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our 11 yr. old Golden has mast cell cancer but our vet says

Our 11 yr. old Golden has mast cell cancer but our vet says that it doesn't have anything to do with the problem at hand. 24/7 he goes into a deep sleep and periodically his back legs begin to kick hard, like a jack hammer. He kicks himself off the couch, falls off the bed, knocks anything over that is in the path of those kicking legs. We do have him on meloxicam once/day. Would you recommend anything else? Like fish oil? Is there a muscle relaxant for dogs that might help?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. This is an interesting situation. If this activity is happening during his sleeping, then the question is brought forward as if this is a seizure? Seizures typically happen more when a dog is at rest than rather when they are up and being active. Or is this kicking him having a dream or something similar? Either one of these activities wouldn't be helped with meloxicam or the glucosamine supplementation. The course of action that I'd recommend here is to video what you're seeing and take that to your vet so they can physically see one of these events. If it is a seizure, then medications specifically for it can be started up to help that out. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My vet says it's definitely not a seizure because he only does it when he's sleeping. He says seizures occur while awake. He appears that he is dreaming but more like he's in a stupper, not knowing where he is for awhile. It's hard to wake him up to make the kicking stop.

I'm going to disagree and say that seizures can and definitely do happen while a dog is asleep. Not that this is a seizure, but they can absolutely happen when a dog is asleep. They don't just have to happen when awake. With him not waking up when this is happening, a seizure would be the first thing on my rule out list Martha. I would video what you're seeing and have your vet or another vet view it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

I'm glad to have been of help here at this time. If you do get a video of it in the future, you can post it on youtube and let me know as I'm curious to view it. I hope Jake is feeling better here soon!