Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

what to give my 10 lb shitzu/malti for constipation. she

what to give my 10 lb shitzu/malti for constipation. she was out side trying to potty and couldnt get any thing to com out and then scooted on patio to release the poop from her bottom
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.

Some options to possibly help with constipation include:
- Offering a little milk. Cats and dogs can be lactose intolerant, and just like in people, this can result in a laxative effect.
- Offering some canned pumpkin, Metamucil, or bran (1-2 teaspoons). The fiber pulls water in from the colon and this can help to move stool. Make sure your pet is drinking water if giving any of these supplements.
- Encouraging water intake is very important. You can add some canned food to the water or some canned tuna juice to make it more tasty. Make sure to change frequently as the water will spoil.
- Often, severe impaction can occur, where the colon is overly distended with firm feces. This is called a Megacolon, and you need a veterinarian’s assistance. This condition can often require repeated enemas by a veterinarian, and none of the above will work.

Other Home Remedies for Dog Constipation

Be careful. If there has been any recent loose or watery stools before this occurred, sometimes, a pet will scoot as a result of colitis (inflammation in the colon) and not constipation. So, the constipation therapies can sometimes make them feel worse.

Sorry to hear she is having difficulties. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.