Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

I work with a Chihuahua Rescue group. We got a dog (7.8 lbs,

I work with a Chihuahua Rescue group. We got a dog (7.8 lbs, ~8 years old) out of the pound yesterday that has TERRIBLE fleabite dermatitis. The fleas are gone. She had Capstar and Frontline, followed by a flea shampoo with oatmeal bath when the fleas were dead. We took her to the Humane Society Wellness Clinic for her shots and microchip. The vet there said we could give her 1/2 to 1 tsp of Benadryl every 12 hours. Unfortunately, tho' that takes the edge off a bit, she still chews, bites and scratches CONTINUOUSLY! What can I put on her topically that will turn off the itch?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Gee Gee is dealing with flea allergy dermatitis

Dr. G. :

She got capstar and frontline, followed by flea shampoo and bathing. How long after the frontline was the bathing done?

Customer:

About an hour and a half.

Dr. G. :

I see. The frontline needs to sit on the skin for at least 48 hours if not 72 before bathing, otherwise it will not work

Dr. G. :

Do you have any access to a medication called Comfortis?

Customer:

That's a heartworm, other worm and flea preventive, right? I could probably get some next week from one of the vets we work with. I just need to turn off the terrible itch now.

Dr. G. :

Trifexis is the combination product, comfortis is just the spinosad flea portion. This is like capstar but works for 30 days. It is great for infested dogs. As far as what is available over the counter, there really is not a whole lot. There are shampoos with hydrocortisone in them, like ProSense hydrocortisone shampoo available at walmarts. That may provide some relief. Do you have a vet that the rescue uses? She really needs oral steroids to get the itch down, anti-histamines and topicals usually don't do it for flea allergy dogs.

Customer:

Her hair is so thin we could easily see the fleas crawling all over her yesterday. So I feel very secure in saying the fleas are gone. Yes, we have a vet that the Rescue uses. I guess I will have to give them a call to see if I can get oral steroids prescribed.

Dr. G. :

She will feel so much better with the steroids

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Dr. G. :

get some hydrocortisone shampoo too, the combination of that with the oral steroids is going to be amazing for her

Dr. G. :

I wish you the best with GeeGee. Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 9 months ago.
Hi Cyrena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Geegee. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

GeeGee is improving though much more slowly that I had hoped. I spoke with our regular vet on Saturday. He didn't want to start her on steroids and recommended baby shampoo with conditioner for a bath in case she had a yeast super-infection. He also said I could increase her Benadryl to 1/2 to 1 tsp every 6-8 hours. If she is still scratching tomorrow, I'm to take her in for a skin scraping and treatment adjustment based on that.

I have found that if I hold her, she doesn't scratch. Cheap and effective, but I don't get much else done then.