Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Is there an analgesic for dogs with food allergies? My dachshund/corgi

Is there an analgesic for dogs with food allergies? My dachshund/corgi mix has symptoms like itching ears, watering eyes, sneezing, and has contracted pancreatitis and esophogealitis on several occasions. She is constantly scratching her ears and licking. I have been trying to narrow down the foods or allergens that bother her, but it's hard to figure out. In the mean time, she is suffering and I'm hoping there is something she can take to relieve symptoms. Please help!
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- What are you feeding her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SayD is 30 pounds. I originally fed her Science Diet and cooked egg. I am now experimenting with hypoallergenic dry and limited ingredient dry foods; including duck/potato and buffalo mixes. I will sometimes add a cooked egg and/or diced turkey. Is there an analgesic for dogs to alleviate symptoms?

Marilyn, when doing a food trial the better approach is placing the patient on a protein that they very seldom have had in the past. For example, if they never ate fish then use salmon. In addition, avoid grains. So, you can try a grain free diet with salmon as the protein source. The trial should be done for 6-8 weeks, during that period she should not eat anything else or you will not know if the diet is going to help.
As far as analgesics, we don't use analgesics for allergies, we use antihistamines. You can use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 8-12 hours. Or, Chlorpheniramine 4mg every 8 hours. You can buy these over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the correct term and medications to help my dog! Will using Benadryl or Chlorpheniramine cause side effects such as drowsiness, dry mouth, or anything else we should watch for? Are these ok for long-term use? I forgot to mention that I give her probiotic (Proviable-DC) once daily. I am trying to be proactive and get as informed as possible.

Your Welcome Marilyn.

In very few cases we can see some sedation. But, dogs are really more tolerant to the sedative effects than humans. So, you will most likely not notice any side effects.
Yes, they can be used long term, very safe.
Being on a probiotic is a great idea as this will help her intestinal tract and immune system which will help with her allergies.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again for your answer, Doctor -- one more question: Will the use of antihistamines derail food trials to determine her allergies? I am desperate to give her some relief, so I'd like to start the antihistamines asap.

No, the antihistamines will not interfere with the food trial. You can use both. Make sure you are strict with the food trial. I usually tell my clients to give veggies like broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, etc. as treats as they do not cause any problems.

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Hi Marilyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sayd. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter