Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interestes: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

Hello Helpful, I have a 6 year old black lab. 3 weeks ago

Hello Helpful,

I have a 6 year old black lab. 3 weeks ago the lab started to vomit and have diarrhea. We immediately took our lab to our vet after one day of this situation and the vet started us on some Imodium and performed blood work. The vomiting and diarrhea continued as 3 days went by. We kept in contact with our vet and determined there could be some blockage. Blood work taken over 3 times during this time returned no information.

The vomit started to turn green and sometimes yellow with lots of foam. We then performed X-rays and the report showed not blockage like bones or something hard. The situation grew worse as the lab has stopped eating and as the symptoms continue. After much consideration the vet performed exploratory surgery on the lab last week. Nothing was found in terms of blockage. Biopsies returned no cancer but there is some inflammation of the intestines. The lab has been on antibiotics for almost a week and a half, with anti-vomiting pills, Prilosec, and pain medication. The vomiting has increased to 5 to 6 times a day. He is very lethargic and at some points refuses to move. We are taking him back to the vet again tomorrow, which is our 7 time in 3 weeks.

I am pretty desperate for any ideas as to what might be the cause or better yet a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
.

Dr. Laurie :

Hello, My name isXXXXX

Dr. Laurie :

are you still here?

Dr. Laurie :

There are many things that can cause vomiting. Based on the information that you gave it sounds like your pet may have inflammatory bowel disease. Other causes of vomiting other than inflammatory bowel disease that I would recommend that your veterinarian rule out are pancreatitis and hypoadrenocorticism (addison's disease). I would also have them take a chest x-ray and look for mega-esophagus and confirm that your pet is truly vomiting and not regurgitating.

Dr. Laurie :

Since your pet has been so sick it may also be a good idea to ask your veterinarian if there is an internal medicine specialist that is local to you and get another opinion.

Customer:

Thank you. How treatable is addison's disease?

Customer:

I can ask for the checst x-rays as well.

Dr. Laurie :

Very treatable! My mothers pet had addison's disease for 10 years. He was diagnosed at about 5 years old and lived to be 15.

Customer:

Good.

Dr. Laurie :

Did your veterinarian tell you the results of the bloodwork?

Customer:

The symptons came on in just a day and have remained for 3 weeks? Is that common for the issues you mentioned?

Customer:

Just that they did not see an increase in white blood cell count as if he is trying to fight off something.

Dr. Laurie :

With Addisons disease the symptoms are usually waxing and waning.

Dr. Laurie :

When your pet vomits is there active wretching (abdominal effort) involved or does the food just come up?

Customer:

It seems to just fall out.

Dr. Laurie :

That sounds more like regurgitation than vomiting then. I would definitely ask your vet to do chest x-rays and look for megaesophagus.

Dr. Laurie :

If a pet has an enlarged esophagus the food will just come out after eating

Customer:

That will cause diarrhea as well?

Dr. Laurie :

generally no

Customer:

He keeps water down for a little while. I am not sure what he is even regurgitating at this point. He hardly drinks or eats, if anything.

Dr. Laurie :

Aww, poor guy. Have they tested for pancreatitis. This can cause both vomiting and diarrhea and pets will often stop eating

Customer:

Would he have abdominal pain with it?

Dr. Laurie :

yes

Customer:

No abdominal pain.

Customer:

It's very strange.

Customer:

If he ate something poisonious, could that be the cause?

Dr. Laurie :

I would still have your pet test for pancreatitis and addisons disease

Dr. Laurie :

Since the biopsies came back with inflammation he may have inflammatory bowel disease as well. It should say on the biopsy report

Dr. Laurie :

Inflammatory bowel disease can cause both vomiting and diarrhea, with or without abdominal pain

Customer:

The addison disease we are testing for tomorrow. I have asked the vet to keep him all day and provide him fluids. I am starting to get nervous about the fact he really hasn't consumed any food or water in a while.

Customer:

How is IBD treated? Diet? Our issue there is that he refuses to eat anything currently?

Dr. Laurie :

Since he hasn't been eating and drinking well I'm sure the IV fluids will make him feel much better. He probably does not want to eat because he is so dehydrated. Many times after a pet is on IV fluids and anti-nausea medications they perk up enough to eat

Customer:

I'll ask for the pancreatitis test as well.

Dr. Laurie :

IBD is usually treated with a special hypoallergenic diet, antibiotics and steroids.

Customer:

That is what I am hoping.

Dr. Laurie :

I wish you and him the best of luck tomorrow. If all else fails please ask your veterinarian if there is a specialty hospital in the area as he may need some advanced testing.

Customer:

If he won't even try hamburger, which he never was able to have before (but wanted) he became sick, I am not sure I can get him to eat anything.

Customer:

Of course. Thank you for time and talking me through this.

Customer:

Hopefully the IV will be a big help tomorrow.

Dr. Laurie :

You are very welcome. Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

No, I am good.

Dr. Laurie :

OK, take care.

Customer:

You too.

Hi Randy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocco. How is everything going?

Dr. Laurie