Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

i just got this dog they told me he is about 9months old and

i just got this dog they told me he is about 9months old and everytime i leave to go to work he freaks out and destroys everything i live in an apartment i cant have him doing this everytime i leave! i walk him for half an hour to and hour before i leave and keep the radio on low, leave out treats and chews for him and keep the lights low and even some of those calming tablet thing you can feed you dog, nothing seems to be working. I really like this dog this is the only problem i have with him but its a big problem that is going to affect whether or not im going to be able to keep him i really want to but i cant afford the damage he is causing now and in the future if this doesnt stop. please help
-erika
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, can you please tell me what calming tablets you have tried? Could you Google it and tell me the brand name, or the active ingredient?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the pro-sense anti stress calming tabs

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I would try buying a DAP collar, which you can buy online at pet stores. It is a pheromone-releasing collar and it releases a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs. If that alone does not solve the problem, then I would ask your vet to prescribe Xanax for your dog and give it in the morning a half hour before you leave. I suspect that your dog may need a combination of the collar and the Xanax, but you might as well try the collar first so that you may not have to give your dog a controlled drug every day. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005