Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

I noticed a hole in my dogs chest. It is not bleeding but has

I noticed a hole in my dogs chest. It is not bleeding but has a little fluid coming out. It looks like the hole was caused by something internally going on as it has a bordered edge not caused by an external puncture. He lets me touch it and doesn't seem to be in pain but can lick the wound and is aware its there. This must have just happened as I spent all weekend with him cuddling I would have noticed it then. He is hyperthyroid and has been on meds since a pup. He is 5 years old now and is a beagle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Kristie and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. This is a very short answer I know but the chances are this is nothing much to worry about, you may be looking at something such as a cyst or abscess which has burst. Prior to bursting these sorts of lesions are often very hard to spot under the fur. Of course other diagnosis would be possible but it would be rare for this to be serious.

2. What should you do about it? Well it would be best to have your vet check this over just to be on the safe side and very often a course of prescription drugs such as antibiotics will help resolve things. In the meantime if you were to wash the are with warm salt water two or three times a day and then gently dry the area with clean kitchen paper and then liberally apply the likes of Neosporin then the chances are things will not get worse. Also in many cases that alone would resolve things.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott