Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my dog is about 16yrs old...sharpie x kelpy mix 65lbs. her

my dog is about 16yrs old...sharpie x kelpy mix 65lbs. her tail was infested with maggots and I shaved it the best I could but she is in a lot of pain. I gave her 1/2 Tylenol at 6:30 and another 1/2 at 9:30. I can't take her to the vet till tmw afternoon. what else can I do for her???

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Wrinkles Tail. The tylenol will definitely help with pain. The appropriate dose for dogs is 5 mg per pound every 8 hours. So you can give her a full regular strength tylenol (375 mg) without a problem or 3/4 of a extra strength (500 mg) tylenol. So you can go up on your tylenol dose a some to help with the pain. You can also give benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. The maggots can cause somewhat of an allergic reaction with an infestation at that area so the benadryl will help with pain and inflammation from the maggots. Clipping the area was very important so great job doing that. Next you need to try to clean the wound with the maggots present. You can use hydrogen peroxide to pour on the wound. Then with a soft clean wash cloth gently try to remove and clean up as much of the wound as she will let you and try to get as many maggots out as you can. This is the best you can do until you get her to your vet tomorrow to clean out the rest and get her on some anti biotics. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help

thank you so much