Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Hello,-this morning, my 4 yr. old poodle/spaniel had a soft

Hello,-this morning, my 4 yr. old poodle/spaniel had a soft bowl movement. He had not eaten any breakfast. Shortly after, he was acting normal-playing,barking,etc. About 4 pm today, after he ate, he started vomiting, very loose diarrhea with blood. I also found just trails of red blood as well. He drinks water but vomits up phlegm. I will take him to my vet in the morning, but although I live near Cornell University, there aren't any offices open in the evening. Is there anything I can do for him until I can take him to the vet in the morning?
Submitted: 9 months ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Samuel.

Well, if possible, with vomiting and very prominent bloody diarrhea, I would consider an ER vet visit now.

Find An Emergency VeterinarXXXXX XXXXXnk
Second Link to find an ER

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

Red blood in the stool is known as hematochezia.
Hematochezia in Dogs

Common causes can include:
1. Straining to defecate due to constipation
2. Toxin exposure
3. Stress colitis (common when a dog is startled by loud noises, having strangers at the house, a change in routine)
4. Intestinal parasites (not necessarily worms, but the microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia)
5. A bleeding polyp or tumor in the colon (large intestine)
6. Dietary indiscretion (ate something you do not know about)
7. A foreign body that is trying to move through small or large intestinal tract.
8. Bleeding disorder including if rat/mouse bait has been recently ingested.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Prilosec is probably the most effective for the stomach, followed by Pepcid. But, pepto is the only one that can also help some diarrhea.

I would prevent any drinking or eating for several hours.

Very sorry that he is not feeling well. I would expect a vet to possibly recommend a blood profile, as well as, some abdominal x-rays.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am most concerned about Sammy just "squirting" red blood and not even able to hold down water. I am a bit leery about giving him any OCD before he sees his vet. I guess I am looking to find out if you think that it could be any type of parasitic worm.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Sharon,
Good question.
Worms generally do not cause such a sudden onset of severe distress.

My next suspicion would be for one of the common microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia. But, if you asked me "how often do you see sudden onset hematochezia and vomiting with those parasites", I would likely say not very often.

I am more concerned about toxin exposure, viral conditions, dietary indiscretion (ate something you don't know about), are the biggies.

Hope that extra info helps Sharon.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management