Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

Im scared my dog was fine all day till 45 min ago he wouldnt

I'm scared my dog was fine all day till 45 min ago he wouldn't lay down and when he finally did his eyes where rapidly moving and he couldn't focus he has been drinking water and eating he is 15 years old but in good health looks young. I do know he has pain daily with his hips which he is giving 1 aspirin a day.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear your boy is having these signs

Dr. Altman :

May I ask does he also have a head tilt?

Dr. Altman :

What this sounds like is vestibular syndrome...causes can include an inner ear infection or more commonly ideopathic which essentially means we really do not know why it occurs in older pets

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Customer:

yes a little and he does ongoing ear infection

Dr. Altman :

Is he having any vomiting or wobbliness on his feet?

Customer:

yes feet are wobbliness no vomiting

Dr. Altman :

OK good there is no vomiting because this can be a little bit more difficult on them

Dr. Altman :

I would definitely get him to your veterinarian tomorrow for an evaluation of his ears

Dr. Altman :

If it is not related to the ears typically we see an improvement within 3-5 days of clinical signs

Dr. Altman :

In the meanwhile it is supportive care, meaning taking him food/ water and helping him outside to go to the bathroom

Dr. Altman :

Some veterinarians will give antivert or meclizine to help with the signs of dizziness

Dr. Altman :

If there is no vomiting then essentially allowing the body a chance to respond to this issue and improve

Dr. Altman :

Most dogs will show an improvement but since we really do not know the underlying cause in most cases it is a tincture of time

Dr. Altman :

Does this information make sense? Were you able to open the attachment I had above?

Customer:

I dont see the attachment

Dr. Altman :

There is a CLICK HERE That is highlighted above?

Dr. Altman :

I can also cut/ paste the page so you can go on your own if you are having difficulties

Dr. Altman :

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dr. Altman :

Are you able to get to the link now? Please let me know if you are still having difficulties

Customer:

I got it thanks so much what do you think they will do for him and is this expensive

Dr. Altman :

As I mentioned typically it is a tincture of time and supportive care at home, meaning bringing him his food/ water and assisting him to get outside and go to the bathroom and back into the house

Dr. Altman :

If it is an inner ear infection there would be medications to treat this, often similar to the treatments you likely have already used in the past to treat him

Dr. Altman :

So in these cases that are not vomiting I will do an examination and give information on how to keep him comfortable while awaiting for improvement. This is the only charge, the examination

Dr. Altman :

But some vets will prescribe meclizine as well or have you use the over the counter formula at your local pharmacy

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense?

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you this evening?

Customer:

this makes alot of sense so exam I pay for a Should I bring the ear stuff i have used before and it worked for him?

Dr. Altman :

Yes I would bring your previous prescription with you, perhaps if they do a cytology or ear swab and the medication you have will still be effective and can treat him for this as well...

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can assist with any further questions this evening

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!

Dr. Altman :

I am going to be signing off in about ten minutes and want to ensure you have no additional questions or need clarification before I exit for the evening...

Dr. Altman :

Alright, I am going to change formats in a moment to ensure you are not having any difficulties with live chat...again please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions...

Customer:

thank u so much

Customer:

im taking him in

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Well I wish you both luck in getting him comfortable...

Customer:

yes got a appointment tomorrow

Dr. Altman :

OK great

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both

Dr. Altman :

You both are in my prayers

Dr. Altman :

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate our conversation excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Hi Monique,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman