Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

i HAVE A 20 lb terrier mix, he gets very loud stomach growls,

i HAVE A 20 lb terrier mix, he gets very loud stomach growls, and gas pain, always sniffing rear end
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Andi.
Pain medication? Not so sure about that. If the primary problem is a stomach or intestinal distress, the treatment should focus on manipulating the diet and/or using medications to help normalize the stomach and intestinal bacterial flora.

So, for stomach issues:
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Priolsec and Pepcid are great options to help the stomach.

Gas?
Well, you can actually give a capsule of over the counter simethicone, also known as "Gas-X". Only 1 capsule and only when really needed.

Same dog food? Well, if problems are persisting, diet should be changed to a gastrointestinal food until things are more normal.
A popular example is Science Diet I/D formula.

Also, a fecal test is a must!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Stiffing rear end. Not so sure about that. Sometimes, if there is any anal gland problems a dog will scoot or lick their rectum a lot. Not so sure sniffing is a sign of anal gland issues, but thought I would mention it anyway.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have done fecal in the past, but local thanks for the tip, I will change foods, and get a new fecal test done, plus the temp med's

Thank you

Bob

You are very welcome Bob.
Good Luck and I hope my responses were satisfactory?