Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog has green matter in corner of eyes he want eat but is

My dog has green matter in corner of eyes he want eat but is drinking water but he also is throwing up and all he does is lie around
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long has the vomiting been going on for?
- Have you noticed any other symptoms?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive just noticed this week his vomiting. I feel really bad for him and at this time cant take him to vet but I want to help him please help me to help him. The only other thing is he just lays around he use to meet me at door when I come home from work but now he doesn't and he use to howl at sirens and now he don't.

Hi again Tammie,

Thanks for your prompt reply regarding your boy. As you can imagine, there are a number of things that could be going on here from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ issue. The green in the corner of his eyes could be related to dehydration, or he could have an other issue like a scratched cornea or just conjunctivitis.

First and foremost - make sure your boy is drinking plenty of water. If he seems dehydrated, or hasn't been able to keep water down, then you will need to get him along to a Vet somehow. If he isn't drinking much, then you can encourage him with a little chicken broth. Just boil up some fresh chicken, scoop off the solids and feed him the luke warm broth (ie let it cool before you give it to him). You should also start him on bland food asap. For this cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and cooked white rice is best. You may also want to give a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about using pepcid in dogs online here: . Don't use any other human medication and definitely don't use any old Veterinary medication either.

For now, please keep a close eye on your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As for the eyes, don't use any human medications for these. You are best to use something simple and nontoxic. Cool tea is great for simple conjunctivitis. Just make some fresh black tea, let it cool, then use this to gently wipe both eyes using cotton wool balls 3 times daily. The tannins in the tea can help settle mild conjunctival inflammation.

If the vomiting has been ongoing, if your boy is dehydrated, or if he seems lethargic, you really will need to do what you can to get him seen today.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.