Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Can I use polysporin eye drops perchased for humans on my 8yr

Can I use polysporin eye drops perchased for humans on my 8yr old male bloodhound, he weighs about 160 lbs. He got something in his eye the other day, I noticed some discharge and he was rubbing it with his front leg. I rinsed it with fresh Luke warm water and can massage the entire eye area and he enjoys it and feels no pain and there is no swelling. I can't get to a vet for a few days and was wondering if the poly. eye drops would help

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Moses eye. Yes, you can safely use polysporin eye drops in dogs and is recommended for mild irritation. Instill one drop in each eye twice daily. They can definitely help him since you can't get him to the vets office for a few days. So it is a good idea to give them a try for a few days then have him seen by your vet to just make sure no other changes or damage has been done to the eye.

thak you very much for your quick response, he will see a vet monday morning but this eases my mind that I can do somethig about it in the mean time.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!