Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my rescue dog came into session approx 8wks ago. she finished

my rescue dog came into session approx 8wks ago. she finished everything was fine but now she is losing cream color discharge with traces of blood in it, is this normal she is cleaning herself and has started scooting aswell
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Billie.
No, this is defnitely abnormal. She should not be oozing anything this long after coming into session, and it should not have blood either.

I am very concerned for either a vaginitis (vaginal infection), or definitely, very worried about pyometra. Pyometra is a life threatening uterine infection and requires a immeidate spay surgery to remove the infected uterus and ovaries. It is not responsive to just giving oral antibiotics.

Definitely, well worth a vet visit and I would not delay long. Ideally, visit today.

A vet may recommend either a abdominal ultrasound or x-rays to see if there is any evidence of a distended uterus with pus.

Sorry to hear about this concern. I'll hope for a simple infection that can be easily treated.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I have only had her for approx 12wks and she was very thin and she has had puppies at some point but I don't know when. I was going to wait to have her spayed in November as I understood you needed to wait 3months before she could be spayed. with the information you have gave me I'm booking her into vets asap

The discharge don't seem to smell thats why I thought it was normal

Understood mandy,
Reasonable assumption.
Definitely, vote for the vet check to be more certain as to what is actually going on back there since infection is highly suspect.

Good Luck!

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?