Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience

My shitzu has pustule sores around her area and lower

Customer Question

My shitzu has pustule sores around her pubic area and lower tummy. Can I put something like neosporin on this or does she need to see a vet for antibiotics?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. If you have multiple pustules in the area, then oral antibiotics will most likely be necessary to clear it up. These infections usually reach deeper into the tissue, where topical ointments can get to them. It can wait until Monday, though. In the meantime, I would put Neosporin in the area. If you can get to your nearest major pet store, try picking up a chlorhexidene based shampoo. If you scrub the area daily (leave on 5-10 minutes before rinsing), it would probably help more than Neosporin. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you Dr. John. On way to vet.

You are very welcome. Good luck!!!
Hi Lynne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. John
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Im not sure. I took her to the vet on Sunday as she got much worse. Her pubic area was so swollen she could not walk and it was red and it looked like bites around it.

They kept her their until her bladder was full and did an ultrasound with a needle extraction of urine from her bladder. Also a full blood panel.

I was sent home with antibiotics and some wipes for her tummby and pubic area. The results from the test are not in yet but they said I would get a call when they come in.

Today she is vomiting mostly bile because she isn't eating much. I am very worried about her. I don't know about all the testing. It cost $400.00 for that visit and I'm not sure she needed all that. I think an antibiotic would have been a good start without putting her in so much pain and me at so much expense. I don't mind paying whatever it takes but it seems a little extreme to start that way. Plus she is still sick. She is my best friend and I am having a hard time dealing with this because she is getting old. Thank you for following up I really appreciate it.

You are very welcome. For a routine skin infection, further testing may not have been warranted, but enough swelling that she couldn't walk, I would probably be concerned enough to run some bloodwork as well. It is possible that the antibiotics are causing a lack of appetite and vomiting. I would skip her next antibiotic dose until you can call your vet tomorrow and let them know about her inappetance and vomiting.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK Thank you very much.

You are very welcome.