Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

I have a 5 month old Boston Terrier. He is excessively hyper

I have a 5 month old Boston Terrier. He is excessively hyper but acts as though he is starving all the time. Soon I discovered a poss reason fpr the constant hunger....I noticed a LARGE amount of wiggly, white worms in his stools. We wormed him initially and then did the treatment. However, now he has the same symptoms but the worm infestation seems to have tripled. Im not familiar with these type worms at all, but they are small, very white, plumpy looking. Occasionally there will be stringy, spaghetti looking type worms. I am in fear these parasites are going to eventually starve Lil Andy to death by sucking up all his nutrition but I don't know what further to do. Could u plz educate me on these types of worms and what can be done. We have 3 additional dogs in the home but none have this reoccurring worm infestation.
, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry concern Andy.

I do have a few additional questions to ask first, if you don't mind and I also apologize pictures I'm asking you to view:

1. Have the wiggly worms looked like small grains of rice? Are they flat and appear somewhat segmented? Something similar to what's shown in this LINK?
2. Or are they round and not at all segmented, similar to this picture (LINK)?
3. What wormer did you give him and when was treatment?
4. Did you worm all of the other dogs, too?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks patience. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Deb my apologies a bit to reply but those pictures were gruesome and it was kinda like the pota saying, u couldn't jus view one. Oh my gosh!!! Makes u wonder if u really need a dog or not...and we have 4 inside and twin 4 year olds grandbabies living here. In answer to ur questions is as follows:
1) they are very similar to these pics but ive never seen a long one, only the lil white pieces. and they are plump too but when up and wiggling they have a flat appearance too. They do seem to dry to a powdery, starchy white, when the air begins hitting them and then there is only that left. The powdery looking place.

2) Not round at all.

3) My husband got the wormer from our vet. It was injectable and was 7 days later. I kept the pkg good while but must have discarded it....sorry!!

4) Yes we did worm all the other dogs as well and they all responded well to the treatment.

One other thing I have thought about, we do have a cat about a year old. Female, spaded. No sign of worms. But she does have a litter box. Is there a possibility if he MAY be raiding her box??????

Again, so sorry so long to reply Dr. Deb.

No problem about the delay and no apologies necessary!

Yes, those pictures were pretty awful, weren't they but when it comes to identifying parasites in a dog's stool, a picture is really worth a thousand words, as they say.

It sounds like Lil Andy may be suffering from a recurrent infection from tapeworms...these are flat, segmented worms and the segments dry up after a while and can look like dried pieces of coconut or very small grains of rice. (LINK)
These worms always require what's called an intermediate host which in most cases is going to be fleas. Until or if the flea population is controlled, some dogs will continue to have problems with tapeworms.
These worms are not transmitted from dog to dog or even from a cat's feces (or a cat) to a dog. This intermediate host is always required life cycle to be completed.
Most dogs only require one treatment to eliminate this parasite but some dogs do tend to be overly sensitive to recurrent infections...perhaps because of a reduced or immature immune system?
I usually use Praziquantel which comes as an injection or pills; I suspect this is what your vet dispensed. If I suspect a resistant tapeworm infection (which does occasionally happen), then I'll worm with the drug at twice the recommended dose ( 10 mg/kg and repeat in 2 weeks). I wouldn't worm all of the other dogs though at this higher dose; I'd just worm him.

Since Lil Andy appears to have consistent problems with these worms, you might want to consider giving him monthly Iverhart Max (LINK). Not only will this product protect against heartworm disease, but it contains Praziquantel which should help prevent reinfection.

I hope this helps and that this problem can be resolved satisfactorily...I know this is your fervent wish as well! Deb

I also wanted to share this additional LINK with you. Bostons are not particularly known and eating their prey but this is another source of infection with tapeworms.
Luckiy, the same drug (Praziquantel) will kill all species of tapeworms regardless of the underlying cause of infection. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dr. Deb...I don't know if I have submitted this already but Im afraid it didn't sent when I entered it last time. I

I don't know if it has any consequence or not but u said if he had an immature immune system could be a part of the problem. I bottle fed Lil Andy from day one. His mother refused to nurse AT ALL. We made several attempts but she jus would not allow it. Two really small sisters did not make it but I pulled Lil Andy thru with a lot of very lil sleep and very tired days. But he was worth it.

My next question is to ask if my grandbabies are being put in danger with him being in the home with them. One is VERY attached to him and sleeps with him everu nite. They are constantly loving on him and snugglin and etc. Sometimes Maci will allow him to kiss her on the mouth. Which we have cautioned her and warned her against this but to deaf ears. Each time she thinks we are not looking she continues to do it. So is he putting these children at risk Dr Deb??

No, I didn't receive the above information/additional question so thanks . Sometimes there's a problem with the site in this regard (which I never completely understand).

If Lil Andy didn't receive colostrum from his mom, then he might not have as strong an immune system at this age but then again, when he's older, he might not have any issues at all.
It sounds like he's one lucky fellow, regardless, and has been through a lot in his short life.

Your grandbabies are NOT at risk or any danger from tapeworms. While disgusting and aesthetically unpleasing to look at, they need that intermediate host (another critter in other words) to be able to infect humans.

And, of course, you know the more you tell Maci not to let him kiss her, the more she'll want to do it...not my area of expertise but just saying:)))) Deb

Thank you rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with this situation since I know how frustrating it can be.

Kindly ignore the request information. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Deb....I do not know what in the world is goin on with this site today. Just disregard a jus previous mess I sent u. But I wasn't sure if u got ur credit because when I gave u the Excellent Happy Face it went to a page that stated in Bold Print "ACCESS DENIED" and then went to home page, I know I did NOT get to give u your tip. How can I carrect this? U have my many apologies the screw ups and pestering that I have imposed upon u today. I owe u a $100 tip being such a pain in the a- -. I am so very sorry, Help me get this tip to u. Just Answer should be so proud to have u as their asset representing them and their services. Sincerely,......Pegi X. XXXXXX

Lufkin, Texas

You're incredibly kind and I'm grateful comments but I don't consider you to be a PIA at all:) I'm the one who should be apologizing to you the problems and complications with the site!
I see that you've asked questions before and know how the site works. Why it decides to have problems is something I'll never understand but it is certainly very frustrating and annoying to say the least!

I did receive your rating and the bonus did come through so thanks again.

Again, I'm so sorry that you had so many problems with the site today. If we ever chat in the future, hopefully, there won't be as many issues. Regards, Deb