Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience

our dog seems to have a lump in his neck just down from his

our dog seems to have a lump in his neck just down from his left jaw bone. He has a lot of fur, so it is hard to tell how large it is, but it feels about like the size of small lime. I don't feel anything like it on the other side.
Submitted: 10 months ago via dog-illnesses.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. I will need you to answer a few questions, though, so I can better assess your specific situation.

Is this lump right were the end of the jaw and upper part of the neck come together?

Is it soft or hard? Movable or fixed in place?

Any other similar swellings on other side, just in front of shoulders, in armpit areas, just inside rear limbs or just behind knees?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is just below the end of the jaw bone in the neck. It is soft, and it seems to be movable. I cannot find any other lumps in any of the locations you mention above.

Thanks for the information. Our biggest concern with masses in this area are enlarged lymph nodes. Usually, the swelling will be right where the jaw bone and neck comes together. I am still not sure if this is exactly where the mass you have found is at or not. If it is, I would be concerned about an enlarged lymph node or salivary gland. Those would be the most likely sources of swelling in that area. Enlarged lymph nodes are usually firm and fixed, though. If this mass is soft and movable (doesn't seem to be attached to anything past the skin and underlying fat tissue), then a lymph node is less likely. A cyst, bruise, inflammatory lesion or other type of skin tumor are possible. With the size you are describing, though, a lymph node or salivary gland would be most likely. A enlarged salivary gland would feel similar to a lymph node. Both the lymph node and salivary gland can be infected. A single enlarged lymph node may be draining some type of infection, especially from the mouth. A salivary gland could form cysts in it. Of course, the worse case scenario is that it is lymphoma (cancer of lymph nodes). Because of the location and size, I would highly recommend having your vet check this out and aspirate it to pull out cells to be evaluated under the microscope. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience: Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience