Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

Hi, based on the honking and coughing my dog does (she is an

Hi, based on the honking and coughing my dog does (she is an 8-9lb Yorkie cross), I am inquiring into how to help a dog with a collapsed trachea

When is surgery necessary, how often is it successful and what does the surgeon do?

I will take her for an exam and Xray when I can get into the vet's office but I know him- he will always recc surgery over doing nothing and managing lifestyle no matter what the issue is.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How long has Aimi had this honking cough (sudden onset within past week or for many months)? Why do you suspect collapsing trachea at this time (is this something your veterinarian diagnosed already)?

Dr. Joey :

I also want to confirm if this was not diagnosed by a vet yet that this is truly a cough and not a reverse sneeze (are you familiar with this; if not here are a few videos on YouTube to watch to see if this is reverse sneezing which is a completely different topic we can discuss: With regard to surgery, this is an extreme step that we really try to avoid until the problem becomes life-threatening. The trachea tends not to respond very well to surgery, although the techniques for surgery have improved over the past few years. There are medications we try first if collapsing trachea is diagnosed which is a combination of drugs to reduce inflammation and suppress coughing.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Hi Dannielle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Aimi. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey