Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

our dog groomer, who clears the glands, tells us that

our dog groomer, who clears the anal glands, tells us that some yellow grainy discharge came from the dogs anus when she cleared the anal glands.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is not too uncommon. The anal gland material can be yellow to grey to brown or even black. Sometimes it's watery. Sometimes it's thick or gritty. Usually all we need to do is empty them and that resolves the signs.

If you notice her scooting after the emptying, then I would get her seen by a vet and get antibiotics.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX "scooted" recently but it isn't regular.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I realise I should have said this before but she is very overweight and when she defecates she regularly ends up with some spoil on her rear, which we have to clear off. This is only a recent issue, probably 3 or 4 months.
If she's not scooting regularly, then I wouldn't worry about the anal gland consistency that the groomer noticed.

If she's not on a weight loss diet or restricted calorie diet, that is your best option to get weight off her and help with her overall grooming and health.
Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pooh. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, all is well. Looks like a slight overreaction by the groomer. Thanks
Good deal, thanks for the update.