Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a 11 year old long haired chihuahua he has had a horrible

I have a 11 year old long haired chihuahua he has had a horrible battle with fleas. I've used advantix 3 times in the last 2 months and flea bombed my house. I'm at a loss on what to do next. He has scabs from biting so much and still has fleas. I've used advantix for dogs 10lbs and under is it not strong enough? We have never had this problem please help!
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tito.

A few suggestions!
1. Forget the topicals. All of them. Talk to your vet ASAP about getting some Comfortis, also known as Acuguard. It's a pill you give once every 30 days. I rarely hear about resistance issues, and its a favorite with many dermatologists.

Plus, even if Advantix was applied, you can still give the pill!

2. You may have to bomb again. Remember, 1 bomb per room.
Also, if you have carpet, try to find a carpet powder that contains borates. Borates are excellent for flea problems in powders

3. Start vacuuming twice a week for several weeks. Helps a ton

4. To help him, also ask the vet for a steroid shot or some other steroids. Will make him more comfortable and quickly reduce the biting.

In addition, an anthistamine could help as well.

You could give a 1/4 tablet of 25mg benadryl or a 5mg zyrtec tablet.
Zyrtec is once a day and benadryl can be every 8 to 12 hours.

Don't even bother trying a higher dose of Advantix.

Sorry to hear about the fleas. I battle lots of these cases here on the West Coast.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Makenzie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tito. How is everything going?