Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My female dog is 9 yrs old and seems very ill. She has a very

My female dog is 9 yrs old and seems very ill. She has a very dry nose and and the pawls are cold. under the front arm pits are very hot... Dose my dog have a fever?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and unfortunately the way the nose, foot and armpit feel are not very accurate when trying to detect a fever. The armpit is the most accurate but often times feel warmer than most of the body. So the only accurate way to know is to take her temperature using a digital thermometer rectally. Just apply some simple lubricant and insert very gentle into her rectum. The temp should be below 102.5 degree to consider normal. If it is above she has a fever and should be seen by your vet to be examined and begin treatment for the fever.

Dr. Whitehead :

There are so many different things that can cause a fever so being seen by your vet if you determine she has a fever is best to make sure she doesn't have an infection such as pneumonia or a urinary tract infection etc. . . she can then receive some anti biotics and possibly fluids to reduce her fever

Customer:

Yes the the arm pits is the warmest part of body... I can take her to the Vet in the mourning but can I give her aspirin to reduce the fever. She will not go out side to use the restroom before bed, very low on energy ....she will not leave the bed....she is very ill.

Dr. Whitehead :

You can definitely try a low dose of aspirin to see if this helps her feel a little better. you do not want to use it long term though as this can cause upset tummy if used for long periods of time. The dose of aspirin in dogs is: If she weights between 30 - 50 lbs she can have 1/2 an adult aspirin, 50 -100 lbs a whole adult aspirin. Buffered aspirin is preferred because its easier on the stomach. You can give it every 12 hours. Also try to get her to drink some water if possible or chew on ice cubes if possible.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Hope she feels better in the morning.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. I hope so also! Please let me know if you have any additional questions I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.