Kristen McMahon
Kristen McMahon, Veterinarian
Experience:  2001 VMD from University of Pennsylvania, 2007 Advanced Course in Veterinary Homeopathy
21152729

Hello. I read the thread discussing tracheal collapse in a

Hello. I read the thread discussing tracheal collapse in a Pomeranian. I am an RN, doctorate in naturopathy. I have a 10 year old Chihuahua, Poco, who has episodic collapse, maybe once a week, maybe twice a month. When she has an "attack" it is concerning as she works so hard to try and get air in. We have not yet called out the "big-meds" and was interested to see your advise about Slippery Elm lozenges, and honey. So, my question is, when she is having an "attack", is there anything I can do to position her more comfortably or assist in obtaining airway patency? Any other natural remedies you would recommend? She is not overweight, and does not have cardiac or other problems, just tested (negative) for heartworm. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Kristen McMahon : Hello Patricia,
Kristen McMahon : I always recommend a good joint supplement like Cosequin or Dasuquin. The rings of the trachea are made of cartilage so the joint supplements that help improve joint cartilage might help cartilage elsewhere.
Kristen McMahon : I also use essential oils to help some dogs with tracheal collapse. I only use Young Living essential oils because they are therapeutic grade and can actually be ingested. Even the stuff at a place like Whole Foods doesn't have that kind of quality. I usually recommend diffusing a blend called Thieves with some Eucalyptus Blue added. I use the H2EO water based ultrasonic diffuser and add about 10 drops of Thieves and 2-5 drops of Eucalyptus Blue.
Kristen McMahon : There isn't any perfect positioning to help alleviate the collapse. Some of my clients report that extending the neck and rubbing the throat area can help.
Kristen McMahon : You can even use a drop of peppermint essential oil to help. Put a drop on your palm, circle with your other hand a couple times and the you can rub the trachea. This oil won't harm the eyes but it can be irritating so make sure you have some oil (I use the V6 oil from Young Living) on hand to put on any irritated area. Do not use water as that will spread the oil and drive it in deeper causing more irritation.
Kristen McMahon : And always use a harness, never a collar.
Kristen McMahon : Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer:

Good morning, and thank you. I am able to validate that holding her, or having her "stand" supported while I hold her next to me, and extending the neck helps a little - truly, I was hoping there might be another way.

Customer:

Where can I purchase the Thieves oil, Eucalyptus Blue, and the H2E0 ultrasonic diffuser?

Customer:

Oh, yes, also - how would I administer one or part of the Slippery Elms lozenges? Thank you.

Kristen McMahon : I probably wouldn't give slippery elm lozenges during an episode of tracheal collapse. I'm not sure how much they would help. When I use slippery elm I get the bulk powder from Rose Mountain Herbs and boil 1 cup of water, add 1 heaping tablespoon of the powder, stir until combined, turn off heat, add 1 tablespoon manuka honey, and for a chihuahua give 1 teaspoon up to 3 times a day.
Kristen McMahon : For the diffuser - they are on Amazon
Kristen McMahon : http://www.amazon.com/H2EO-Ultrasonic-Diffuser-Multi-Colored-Lights/dp/B003B3Q3H2
Kristen McMahon : For the oils you will need to set up an account with Young Living. You can call them to find a distributor in your area who can help you or you can do it on your own through this website:
Kristen McMahon : http://MarmaladeVet.marketingscents.com
Kristen McMahon : If you want to call Young Living their number is XXXXX
Customer:

This is super helpful. I make medicinals here at home. I am wondering if I can use straight Slippery Elm herb, a Tablespoon, instead of powder, and infuse it similarly, then add the honey.

Kristen McMahon : No, slippery elm tincture isn't the same - I'd stick with the powder. If you make it up with the powder you will see that it gets very slimy - that's part of what helps. The tincture won't have that property.
Customer:

I found the powder here this morning, and my plan is to prepare as your directed. I also found the glucosamine, at the Natural Vet Food/Health store, in powder form the source being the Green Lipped Mussel.

Customer:

This has been very helpful, and I thank you so very much. Patricia