ER Vet
ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
59144988

My english bulldog puppy (10) months has cherry eye thet my

My english bulldog puppy (10) months has cherry eye thet my vet has to evaluate this week. She came in this evening and she has her other eye swollen at the outer part of it. Looks strange and I am very worried, she didn't seem like herself. Like a bulging eye but the lower lid shows. she has now calmed down but at one point vomited and shook for a few seconds. Not uncommon for her to bump her head as she often dashes around and under the deck. Gave her half of a benedril and swelling is improving.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  ER Vet replied 11 months ago.

ER Vet :

Hi, I've been a veterinarian for 21 years. I'd like to help! I just need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. Is her face swollen at all? How long was she outside for?

ER Vet :

Also can you look at her gums and see if they are a bubblegum pink color?

Customer:

Her gums are bubblegum pink. She was outside for a few hours as she has access always and loves to be out in the sun.Dont see swelling but the white around her brown eye still seems swollen where her brown eye seems to sink in a little. Has dug a hole under my deck, could be allergies to ants or something? I get it exterminated every 60 days. Little swelling around that eye and when I got her inside she did not behave as shee normally does but is now sleeping.

ER Vet :

I'm glad to hear that her gums are nice and pink. The most common cause of these types of symptoms are a reaction to a bee sting or a spider bite. It is good that you gave Benadryl as this is very safe and puppies.

Reactions to insect bites can be mild or severe depending on the dog. If she continues to act sick or lethargic or is vomiting she should be evaluated by a veterinarian. In addition, if her face swells she should be evaluated right away.

You may apply a cold compress to her eye every four hours tonight. If the swelling doesn't go down or recurs please have her seen to check for an injury to the eye. If you have any other questions let me know.

Customer:

Also, her cherry eye in the other eye is the most swollen it has been. It has went in by itself numerous times in the last couple of weeks and then pops out.

ER Vet :

With the possible allergic reaction, I would expect the cherry eye to look worse. This should be addressed as soon as possible as it could permanently affect her vision if not taken care of. You can give her as much as 1 mg per pound of Benadryl every 12 hours. If this is not helping she may need stronger medication that you would only be able to get from your veterinarian.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I would have taken her tonight but am on meds waiting for a fusion surgery on lumbar.

ER Vet :

Oh my! I hope you feel better soon too!

ER Vet :

you're quite welcome as well :)

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX 9 to 12 months after surgery for recovery with cage and all. Thanks again!!!God Bless You!!

ER Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a veterinarian for 21 years caring for dogs in general and emergency practice.
Expert:  ER Vet replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

ER Vet