Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My 18-month old lab (one month in our home) has had a rash

My 18-month old lab (one month in our home) has had a rash on her lower stomach for at least two days, and it is getting worse. Mostly redness, with red bumps on one side of her stomach. There is also a line 4 inches long that looks like a rope burn. I do not know the source of the rash - whether it is plants, pests, or food. My question is whether it is advisable to apply calamine lotion (with a cone on her head) to help treat the itch, and hopefully prevent her licking from exacerbating the rash. Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your pooch is dealing with this rash. You certainly can use calamine lotion if you'd like it is not harmful but I also have not found it to be very effective either.

I generally would recommend using cortisone cream on the rash instead until Monday. If the rash is still present on Monday then the vet should check the rash for infection. You can also use human benadryl for the itching as well. You can use 1mg/lb twice daily (a 25lb dog gets 25mg a 50lb dog 50mg, etc.). These two things should help quickly if it is simply an allergic rash, if it is something more then the treatments won't be as effective as you'd like then Abbie should be seen on Monday.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX You recommended cortisone or benadryl. Whay is the difference between the two, beyond lotion (cortisone) vs. oral (benadryl). Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.
Cortisone is a steroid and is very potent and effective on the skin. Benadryl is an antihistamine which is over the counter and safe for dogs. Antihistamines and cortisone use 2 different mechanisms to control itch and allergic reactions. The cortisone works topically and the Benadryl works through the blood stream so we are approaching the problem in 2 different ways which often makes it more effective.

Dr. DAn
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So, to clarify, I should use both to achieve the best results?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.
Correct you understand perfectly!

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.