Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

Hi: My dog just ate the Trifexis pill meant for my other

My dog just ate the Trifexis pill meant for my other dog. She is 17.4 lbs. The dose was for my dog that is 23.3 pounds. She had her regular dose four days ago. Both are Bostons. Can you tell me if this is a serious issue? The comments in this thread indicate it probably is not, but I would like to be sure. She also had taken a dose of antibiotic for her ear and an anti-inflmmatory - prednisone.

Thanks for your help.
Thank you for the additional information.

How long ago did Macee eat the larger dose of Trifexis?

How is she acting so far?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About 20 minutes and she seems fine. Not sick or anything.

I have very good news for you! Even though Macee ingested the Trifexis dose for a dog that is 20.1-40 pounds she really should be just fine. I do not think that you need to induce vomiting as this is a very common problem in dogs. Elanco, which is the company that makes Trifexis, has performed many toxicity studies on this medication that has shown that dogs that have ingested doses that were 3-5 times the normal dose and these dogs did not show any toxic side effects other then vomiting and nausea. This means that she really should be fine as there is not any risk of toxic side effects.

I would continue to watch her for any vomiting though this is a common side effect of Trifexis even at the normal dose. If vomiting is seen I would recommend holding her off of food for about 6-8 hours to allow her stomach time the settle down and then you can feed her a bland diet such as boiled ground beef and rice which will help reduce any inflammation in her stomach.

Overall she really should be fine and even vomiting would be unexpected.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Macee. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt