Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog is dry heaving. Its not constant but still a lot. She

My dog is dry heaving. Its not constant but still a lot. She also been eating grass. What should I do. What does this mean?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Does it seem like Fiona is gagging/coughing or vomiting?
- Has she had anything different to eat today?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she hasn't eaten anything different. In fact aside from dry heaving she's playing. Running around. Hasnt vomited either.

Hi there,

Thanks for that extra info regarding your girl. There are a few things that could potentially be going on here from early gastroenteritis (hence the dry heaving and eating grass) to something respiratory in nature like kennel cough. Hopefully your girl is all up to date with flea and worming treatments as well as vaccinations!

In case this is early gastroenteritis, you are best with holding you girl's food until the morning now. From tomorrow you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice for a couple of days. For tonight - make sure she has plenty of access to fresh, clean water and try and encourage her to drink! If the grass eating and heaving continues, try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily.

Please keep a close eye on Fiona's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Continue to keep an eye on your girl and if this behavior continues overnight, but she is otherwise ok - you would be best to get her checked over by your local Vet tomorrow morning.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.