Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My nine year old dog is losing his hair. There are several

My nine year old dog is losing his hair. There are several large areas on his body that have nothing but black skin. Other than that he is apparently healthy. His appetite is good, and he does not seem to itch. He is an outdoor dog, and I am concerned that he might not fare well when we get cold weather. He is half Collie, 3/8, German Shepherd, and 1/8 Rottweiler. He looks and acts like a Collie. Any suggestions?
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. If he is not itching, he most likely has an endocrine (hormonal) cause to his hair loss. Hypothyroidism would be the primary concern. If he is drinking and urinating a lot, then an adrenal gland problem called Cushing's disease is possible. Some dogs suffer from a condition called seasonal flank alopecia, but that usually occurs just in front of the rear limbs. A skin mite infection called Demodex is possible. You typically see this in puppies, but older dogs can get it with immune system issues, which can be caused by any of those issues noted above. I would have your vet do a skin scraping to look for the mite and run a full senior comprehensive blood work (should include a thyroid panel) to see if they can't find an underlying hormonal cause of this. If he was itchy, I would be more concerned about an allergy (food, environmental and flea), but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ringworm is possible but less likely. A ringworm culture may be a good idea to be on the safe side anyway. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What steps should I take to protect him from our Minnesota winter?

I would consider getting him a doggie sweater or jacket. That will help to keep the warmth in better. You can find one at your nearest major pet store or online.
Hi Jerry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sniffers. How is everything going?

Dr. John