Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I found a stray puppy on the navajo reservation and took it

I found a stray puppy on the navajo reservation and took it to the vet and she got her first round of vaccines and I was told to give the pup a bath and wait 3. Days to apply the flea and tick med. The vet looked at the tick under a microscope and said they were dead. The pup has prob 30 ticks on its 3.5 lb body and they r still there after the bath. What should I do and im worrird about my 2 yr old dog getting sick . The good news is the pup has formed stool and a good appetite. Should I try and take the tivks off?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

If the vet has confirmed that the ticks are dead or dying then your 2yr old dog is likely at no risk from the ticks on your puppy. If your 2yr old dog is running in the same areas as Charlie without tick protection then there is a concern for tick borne illness. However very little likelihood of illness from Charlie's ticks.

As for Charlies' ticks go ahead and remove them. Take a tweezers and grasp the tick right at where the tick joins the skin. Squeeze firmly and pull straight out. If there is a little bit of the head or stinger left it is no problem it will abscess like a splinter which is the body's way of getting rid of the tick head.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rachael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan