Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

Have an 12 week old puppy with a Kidney Infection. She is

Have an 12 week old puppy with a Kidney Infection. She is on an antibiotic in her 6 day of a 7 day cycle of meds. The med is Clavamox 125mg. She is peeing normally during the day but after supper when she pees it looks like blood. How long should it be before this clears up, the bloody urine that is?

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your puppy is on a good medication but shorter than I would use it. Generally it is thought that kidney infections need 3-6 weeks of treatment so it is not a great surprise that occasional blood is being seen. So to answer your question, at a minimum 3 weeks for seeing blood and sometimes as long as 6 weeks. After the meds run out tomorrow I'd make sure the vet knows that you are still seeing intermittent blood so your vet will hopefully extend the antibiotics.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry, I used KIDNEY INFECTION...My wife just corrected me and it is a BLADDER/URINARY TRACT INFECTION... Can you help with info?

Bladder infections usually don't last as long and I'd expect to be blood clearing quickly. However I usually treat bladder infections for 10-14 days so it's not impossible to still be seeing blood but it is worth paying attention too. Even though she's so young a bladder stone is still not impossible so if the blood continues I'd be thinking about at least extending the antibiotics by a week or taking an xray to make sure the bladder is normal.

Dr. Dan
Hi Scott,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Adrianne. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan