VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

I accidentally gave my dog who is a boxer aroung 40 lbs and

I accidentally gave my dog who is a boxer aroung 40 lbs and is about 15 months old...her brother's dose of Trifexis and he is in the 60-120 lb weight class yesterday. She was fine last night but I am worried NOW...can't get a hold of emergency line of vet. She is sluggish, not eating and salivating...what do I do???

VetInternist :

Hello

VetInternist :

How are you

VetInternist :

Did she just get the one tablet?

Customer:

Yes...But it was a big one and she has the symptoms that they are describing online...the sluggishness and the salivating. SHe has not ate anything today either

VetInternist :

Or did she get her dose and the bigger dose?

VetInternist :

Ok

Customer:

Just her brother's does...the 60 to 120...when I went to give him his pill...I realized it was hers (40 to 60 lbs.)

VetInternist :

Don't panic. I think she will eventually be fine, but I do recommend some fluids and observation for her. Some dogs can be sensitive to the medication in Trifexis

Customer:

I called our vet but have not heard back from the emergency line. Could her organs shut down?

VetInternist :

With proper treatment, these dogs generally do well. In some dogs that are extremely sensitive, they may need to be hospitalized longer. Boxers aren't specifically known for this, but some lack a gene that allows them to properly metabolize certain drugs.

VetInternist :

I doubt she will have multi-organ failure, but it can cause some neurological and intestinal issues.

Customer:

When you say proper treatment...you mean fluids and monitoring?

VetInternist :

If your vet has an emergency line, they will probably call back shortly. Do you know if you have an emergency veterinary clinic in your area?

Customer:

WHat do you mean neurological issues?

Customer:

No emergency vet that I know of

VetInternist :

I do. And sometimes additional medications for the side effects that we can see or complications that may arise

VetInternist :

sedation, head tilt, incoordination, in severe cases seizures

VetInternist :

if you give me your zip code I can see if there is an emergency service near you

Customer:

43762

VetInternist :

give me a minute and I will look

Customer:

Are you a trained veterinarian or an intern...I switched amounts I was willing to pay fro high urgency to low because of $ owed...did that switch who I got to talk to? Not that I don't trust your advice...just wondering

VetInternist :

I am actually a board-certified internist

VetInternist :

Animal Urgent Care, Inc.

Distance: 54.3 miles.

Address
4201 Wood Street
Wheeling, WV 26003

Phone
Main:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Full Details

Diley Hill Animal Emergency Center

Distance: 55.7 miles.

Address
9695 Basil-Western Road
Canal Winchester, OH 43110

Phone
Main:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

VetInternist :

Those are two clinics you could visit.

VetInternist :

I have had specialized residency training (in addition to completing my degree in veterinary medicine) in many types of diseases that affect dogs and cats.

VetInternist :

I also had to publish an article and pass 2 separate specialty board exams

Customer:

Are you Dr. Bruce? That's who I thought I was talking to?

VetInternist :

No I am not. I don't think he is online at the moment. This question was sent to the general category for any of the vets to answer

Customer:

THANKS for the emergency numbers and locations...I'll see what my husband wants to do. Should I induce vomiting? I read somewhere online something about peroxide? The problem is I gave it to her yesterday.

VetInternist :

I would not induce vomiting because the drug is already digested

VetInternist :

didn't you give the medication yesterday? Or was is just now?

Customer:

I gave it to her yesterday and she is just now acting like this...does it take that long to work in system?

VetInternist :

It can have a delayed effect., but this may also be something else. It may only be coincidental that you gave her the meds

VetInternist :

Is she responding to you?

Customer:

Yes...She was fine when we came home around 1 pm and I just noticed her lethargicness about an hour ago. She went outside and went potty and did eat a cheeze it...but that is it and when she did get up she was salivating

VetInternist :

The best thing we have to go on is the Trifexis she got yesterday, but it is weird for it to hit so suddenly. I would feel more comfortable if someone could actually put their hands on her for a good physical exam. If nothing else, some fluids and rest may do her some good, but there might be more to this story than just the flea medication

Customer:

If it were you dog...would you rush it to an emergency vet? I feel awful because it was my stupid mistake.

VetInternist :

I would expect the vet to take a good listen to her heart and lungs, feel her belly and do a thorough neuro exam on her and then run some blood work.

VetInternist :

If it were my dog I would take her in. This may not end up being an emergency, but then you are only out some time and money.

VetInternist :

Piece of mind will help you sleep tonight.

VetInternist :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Do you think if I called the emergency line at one of those two places you gave me that they would recommend what to do over the phone...like if I should bring in or not...I would like the piece of mind...but my hubby won't want to spend the money if not necessary

VetInternist :

They might, but I would expect them to say they can't diagnose anything over the phone. The recommendation will be to have her seen.

VetInternist :

Typically you can't speak to a veterinarian because they are busy speaking to clients who are in the hospital or treating the animals that are there

VetInternist :

It doesn't hurt to ask

Customer:

gotcha...thanks...I think I will hold off until my hubby gets home and we will monitor her...thanks

VetInternist :

Sure thing.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

VetInternist :

Take care and good luck!

Customer:

THanks~

I wanted to follow-up to see how Allie is doing.