VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director

Dog was in Michigan for 2 days. We stayed in a cottage near

Dog was in Michigan for 2 days. We stayed in a cottage near some woods. Did have some tap water from property with her food twice a day. Took her to the beach and there she did have about 2 laps of water from a small pool of water that had washed up on the beach BEFORE I could stop her. On day 3 she would not eat her evening meal of food. Came home to Illinois and for 4 days now she won't touch her food. Won't eat rice and turkey that I cooked up either ( usually if not feeling good that is what we try) drinking some water but not a lot. Laying around sleeping and does not want to go out to potty. Feeling very warm. No diarrhea, no vomiting, and I am sure she has a temp.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetInternist replied 10 months ago.

VetInternist :

Hello

VetInternist :

I see your Rottie is having some appetite problems

VetInternist :

Have you been able to take her temperature?

VetInternist :

A rectal temperature of 103.0 degrees fahrenheit or higher would be considered a fever

VetInternist :

There are a few things that may be going on with your dog

Customer:

No I don't happen to have a thermometer

VetInternist :

Some of them related to your trip to MI and others unrelated.

Customer:

ok

VetInternist :

There is a bacteria that can live in standing water that may be playing a role here

Customer:

It was on the beach of lake michigan

VetInternist :

Leptospirosis is a disease caused by this bacteria

Customer:

I have heard of it, but she had a lepto shot a year ago I think

VetInternist :

Some of the clinical signs of this disease include lethargy, inappetance or anorexia, sometimes vomiting, sometimes increased thirst and in severe cases jaundice and acute kidney failure.

VetInternist :

Lepto vaccines don't protect against all types of lepto. Even the types that are included (usually 4 or 5) in the vaccine can still cause infection

Customer:

No vomiting, no increase in thirst, barely drinking

VetInternist :

Testing requires blood and or urine tests to confirm

VetInternist :

They don't have to be vomiting to be infected

VetInternist :

not all of the signs are seen

Customer:

for sure laying around and not wanting to go out, ok

VetInternist :

But you are correct that this may not be the problem

Customer:

so also what else?

VetInternist :

There are other diseases that can be contracted from water as well. Parasites, fungal diseases, protozoans, etc

VetInternist :

Those are the main things I would be worried about as far as your camping trip, but this may just be a coincidence

Customer:

she did have normal stools all three days until yesterday, only pooped once and it had some slimey looking mucus looking stool, mostly light tannish looking

VetInternist :

Does her skin look yellow?

Customer:

she was never off leash at all so I know she did not eat anything that I saw

VetInternist :

that's good.

Customer:

hard to tell about skin looking yellow, she is black

VetInternist :

are the whites of her eyes still white?

Customer:

whites of her eyes are not bright looking, kind of bloodshot, not sure if slightly yellow look at all

VetInternist :

ok

Customer:

Am I doing the right thing with the Pepcid?

VetInternist :

Pecid is safe in dogs. It may ease her stomach a little, but it won't do a whole lot for her if she has a systemic infection

VetInternist :

With leptospirosis (if she has it) the aspirin may not help very much. It may also make things worse.

Customer:

ok, so stop the aspirin, keep the pecid going. Do you think she needs immediate treatment? Is she in danger right now?

VetInternist :

You can offer your dog some warmed, low-sodium chicken broth over her food to see if that helps entice her. Boiled hamburger and rice is also reasonable. I also like Gerber turkey babyfood in a pinch.

VetInternist :

If you can have her seen, I would certainly recommend that. Usually after 3 days of not eating we tend to get a little more aggressive with diagnostics and treatment.

Customer:

I really thought she had a case of gastritis as I said she has had a couple of bouts of before. otherwise I would have taken her to vet sooner

VetInternist :

I know. Most (greater then 90%) of these types of cases resolve within 2 days without any treatment.

VetInternist :

typically there isn't much that needs to be done. Unfortunately it has continued for 48 hours

VetInternist :

At this time I would have a chemistry profile, complete blood count and a urinalysis looked at after a good physical exam

VetInternist :

the initial results will dictate where to go next

VetInternist :

Do you have an emergency vet service near you?

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help. Do you think it is an emergency? yes we do have one but I am currently at work until 7 pm

Customer:

Would a reg. antibiotic be prescribed for lepto?

VetInternist :

I think this can wait until 7:00, but given the severity and duration of her signs I would have her seen tonight

VetInternist :

Doxycycline is generally prescribed for leptospirosis

Customer:

Ok, besides blood work and urine, what else they might do?

VetInternist :

it depends on the physical exam and lab work results. If they feel something in the belly they will recommend abdominal x-rays or an ultrasound. Same thing if there looks to be liver or kidney involvement. If they suspect lepto they will recommend lepto titers (they should do this anyway, because lepto can affect people, too)

VetInternist :

Unfortunately, the clinical signs your Rottie is showing are not specific.

VetInternist :

So starting with blood and urine is the easiest way to narrow things down.

Customer:

Ok I will get her in today. You mean we could catch it from her? She sleeps in bed with my daughter

Customer:

Poop sample?

VetInternist :

Technically, yes you can get it from your dog.

Customer:

Can she sleeping with her?

VetInternist :

A fecal sample may be done, but it is not near the top of my list of tests to run

Customer:

ok, thanks so much for your help!

VetInternist :

We don't know if your dog has the disease. If you or your daughter start getting ill I would certainly speak to your physician

VetInternist :

Especially if you find out your Rottie has something like Leptospirosis

Customer:

I will get her in for sure! Ok we will keep that in mind....don't know what symptoms to look for, but will cross that road if we get there.

VetInternist :

Flu like symptoms in people

Customer:

ok, thanks!

VetInternist :

you are welcome!

Experience: Staff Internist and Medical Director
I wanted to follow-up and see how your Rottie was doing. I hope everything went well.