EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

My son rescued a one year old pit bull mix. She was introduced

My son rescued a one year old pit bull mix. She was introduced to my 4 year old labradoodle last night. After an hour, both dogs were resting when the puppy pinned my dog and was biting her throat. Thankfully, we were able to pull the puppy off my dog and the skin was not broken. My dog was crying and took awhile to soothe her and calm her down. I feel my son should not keep the rescue dog and she has violent tendencies. This is a very difficult situaiton involving hurt feelings and now my fear what the puppy will do to my dog and others.
Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

I could not agree with you more.. The 1 year old is at an age where if she is demonstrating such dominant behaviors already- she is not a safe fit for your 4 year old at this point.. She could become more tolerant but NEEDS serious work.. Discussing the situation with a veterinary Behaviorist would be your best option if you were trying to keep the dog, but it is going to take some time and patience.. When the dogs are around each other it is going to need to be in a structured controlled setting and the behaviorist will have structured guidelines.

EmergencyVets :

If you are wanting to return her due to safety concerns for the 4 year old. I think that would be a fine decision as well.

10:16 AM
<div class="JA_chatMsgContent"Customerhas entered this chat!
EmergencyVets says:
10:16 AM

10:18 AM

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olive. How is everything going?

EmergencyVets