Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My rat terrier needs her glands expressed every month.It

My rat terrier needs her anal glands expressed every month.It seems when she needs this procedure she urinates in the house. We got her from a shelter and she was spayed at the shelter. Not knowing a dog's anatomy could the spaying have her to have these problems' Especially since I don't know the proximity of anal glands to her ureter or urethethra and maybe when the anal galnds become full do they press on anything? She' 3-4 yrs old
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Patches.

I am not aware of any neurologic or physiologic connection between anal gland problems and urinary issues. Anal glands are located directly inside the rectum to the right and left side. They really have no association with the urinary tract.

I cannot connect the urinary accidents with the anal gland issue. Although next time it happens, I would encourage a urine test to ensure there is no concurrent urinary tract infection.

Anal gland discharge or any superficial contamination from scooting can irritate the vaginal area and greatly predispose to urinary tract infection. In fact, many vaginal or bladder problems are caused by the bacteria E.coli, coming from the digestive tract. The unfortunate location of the vaginal area being by the rectum.

So, no, the enlarged anal gland would not be pushing or compressing anything related to the urinary system.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Patches. How is everything going?