Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My Boston is having muscle spasms in stomach

My Boston terrier, Who is about nine years old, Is having muscle spasms in her stomach, And she is throwing up with foamy clear foam and eating grass. Is she okay? She doesn't seem to be in pain.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Maddie.
No, unfortunately, this is a serious concern. The additional spasms may suggest some very bad nausea or abdominal pain (even if it doesn't appear like it). Often, even people will get sore or uncomfortable with repeat vomiting episodes.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Prilosec is likely the strongest of the antacids above to help the stomach.

If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Good! that belly doesn't not feel hard. No more treats. No food of any kind until tomorrow.
No more eating grass either.

But, if any of my warnings signs come up or she remains restless, a ER trip will be well worth it.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.