Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I accidentally gave my puppy an extra dose of Sulfadimethozine.

I accidentally gave my puppy an extra dose of Sulfadimethozine. What should I do?
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Daisy.

I am not concerned about the extra dose.

In fact, when vets are treating a coccidia infection, the first day dose is twice what the remaining days are. So, to get the extra dose is not really of any concern.

I am not worried about any toxicity, but I still always advise to keep an eye out for any vomiting or diarrhea. If any symptoms come up, I would advise your vet for some extra supportive care, but should be fine.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.