Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

my dog just took a few licks of a dilute betadine solution,

my dog just took a few licks of a dilute betadine solution, one tablespoon to two quarts of water. Will it harm him?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. This shouldn't be a bad situation. That dilution of betadine shouldn't be that irritating to any tissues in Leo's oral cavity or intestinal tract. Dilute betadine is used in surgical preps of the skin for some practices and this is occasionally licked off post surgery and it doesn't cause a problem. Sometimes with some oral lesions, a dilute solution can be utilized to help clean the actual wound. So, with this situation of Leo's no further treatment is needed. He should be good to go from this!