How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5764
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog got into my grandsons disposable diaper and was chewing

This answer was rated:

My dog got into my grandson's disposable diaper and was chewing on it. Is there anything inside the diaper that could be toxic to her?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much of the diaper did she swallow?

How much does Sammy weigh?

Was there any feces or urine in the diaper or was it a new diaper?

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She chewed on the edge of it and probably ingested some of the gel and definitely some of the covering (no plastic). Sammy weighs about 60 pounds. Just urine in the diaper. This happened about 20 minutes ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

I have good news for you. The absorbent gel inside of diapers is not toxic to dogs. The most harmful part of a diaper is actually the diaper itself because it can cause an obstruction inside of Sammy's intestines or stomach if she would have ingested it. Since she did not ingest much of the diaper she really should be just fine. At her size, she would have needed to eat about 1/4 of the diaper to be at risk for an obstruction.

At this point, the worst case scenario would be that she could develop a mild upset stomach from the gel or the diaper therefore I would recommend watching her closely for any vomiting or diarrhea. IF these symptoms are seen then I would recommend holding her off of food for about 8 hours. After 8 hours you can feed her a bland diet such as boiled ground beef and rice. This can be fed for 2-3 days or until she is back to normal.

Overall I would not expect any toxicity and as long as she did not ingest much of the diaper she really should be just fine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi T,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt

Related Dog Veterinary Questions