Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My dog got into my grandsons disposable diaper and was chewing

My dog got into my grandson's disposable diaper and was chewing on it. Is there anything inside the diaper that could be toxic to her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much of the diaper did she swallow?

How much does Sammy weigh?

Was there any feces or urine in the diaper or was it a new diaper?

How long ago did this happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She chewed on the edge of it and probably ingested some of the gel and definitely some of the covering (no plastic). Sammy weighs about 60 pounds. Just urine in the diaper. This happened about 20 minutes ago.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I have good news for you. The absorbent gel inside of diapers is not toxic to dogs. The most harmful part of a diaper is actually the diaper itself because it can cause an obstruction inside of Sammy's intestines or stomach if she would have ingested it. Since she did not ingest much of the diaper she really should be just fine. At her size, she would have needed to eat about 1/4 of the diaper to be at risk for an obstruction.

At this point, the worst case scenario would be that she could develop a mild upset stomach from the gel or the diaper therefore I would recommend watching her closely for any vomiting or diarrhea. IF these symptoms are seen then I would recommend holding her off of food for about 8 hours. After 8 hours you can feed her a bland diet such as boiled ground beef and rice. This can be fed for 2-3 days or until she is back to normal.

Overall I would not expect any toxicity and as long as she did not ingest much of the diaper she really should be just fine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi T,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt