Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

We have a 14 year old Cock-a-poo. Eby was diagnosed last year

We have a 14 year old Cock-a-poo. Eby was diagnosed last year with 'Old Dogs Disease'. Last year she was about 5 weeks with losing her balance, falling over, walking in circles & rapid eye movement. We were told after several weeks that we would have to make the decision to put her to sleep. We hesitated on the thought & she pulled out of it the following week. Now... its starting back up.
For the past several weeks, her one ear seems to always be flipped up. Could this so called 'Old Dog Disease' be from an ear infection? She has had ear infections in the past. What can we do at home for her & what can we do or say to her Vet Dr. on this situation?
Thank You
Craig & Tammy Buchoz
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. It is possible that it could be due to an inner ear infection, especially if she has had issues with ear infections in the past. I would just express your concern that she may have an inner ear infection. They can try and see what her ear drum looks like, but that may be difficult if there is a lot of debris or swelling. It may require some cleaning or a video otoscope to get a better view. An x-ray of the skull may be necessary to evaluate for an inner ear infection better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Hi Craig & Tammy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eby Or Ebony. How is everything going?

Dr. John