Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has a staff infection. He is on antibiotics and prednisone

My dog has a staff infection. He is on antibiotics and prednisone . His respiration (resting) is 67 should I be concerned

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Kindston's situation. To best help, I need to ask a few questions.

1) How long has he been on the prednisone and the antibiotic?
2) What antibiotic is he on?
3) So he woke up from a sleep and has this increased rate of respiration?
4) Any history of heart issues?
5) Any coughing or increased effort breathing in the past few days?
6) Any decreased activity in the past few days?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Dr. , this started with his usual ear infections, about 10 days ago. I took him in and dr said it looked like middle ear was involved so put him on 10 days baytril every 12 hours and hydroxycine HCL every 12 hrs and KOT DROPS every 12 hours, I went for the recheck he was running 105 fever still on Saturday he got a sot of antibiotic and ortizone it seemed he had broken out all over with a rash too. I was told to start primor Sunday give 2 first day then 1 per day until gone, prednisone 1 every other day. Today she called said it was penn resistant staff and it would be hard to treat.....more to come. 2) above. 3) yes 4). No 5) no 6) yes very lethargic wont leave my side
Thanks for all that good information. The KOT drops are something that I'm trying to find information on as that isn't familiar to me. Does it have ingredients listed for it? They are oral tablets? Has his breathing gotten better since starting this converstation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He seems to still be breathing fast but also taking really deep hard breaths, licking like crazy... The KOT DROPS ARE DROPS THAT SHE SAID ARE STRONGER THAN HIS OLDER DROPS which were OTomax
Ok. The really deep hard breaths and the licking like crazy would make me suspicious that he's going to be nauseated here soon. Breathing faster and licking just go hand and hand for a dog that is about to vomit. If he was to have pale gums, labored breathing, weakness, collapse, abdominal distention, obvious pain or seizures - then these would be obvious indications that his sitaution is progressing and he definitely needs to be seen. At this time, could some of his medications be making him nauseated? Could he have eaten something earlier that has made him nauseated? The prednisone can cause panting and increased appetite so is the licking him being hungry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No he has had no appetite, actually lost about 5 to 6 pounds. He just doesn't want to be away from me, as if he is really scared. I will watch him. Hoe does a little dog like that get staff, and does it move from his ear to the rest of his system? Also, his sister is scratching at her ears now, do you suggest I have her checked? Is it contagious? I only got a message today, I wasn't able to speak to vet directly she had gone for the day when I got home
That has me concerned that he's lost that much weight for a dog his size. I would make sure he has blood work checked to confirm that nothing else is going on. The no appeite - if it isn't due to him just being under the weather needs to be addressed. Staff bacteria are on the skin all the time. They are opportunistic in that they start up infections when the immune system in that area is compromised. This can be due to trauma or other issues there. The staff shouldn't go to the rest of his body. I would have his sister checked over but it shouldn't be passed from one dog to the other - ear mites are only able to do this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will tell the dr of our conversation this evening, and ask her to do the blood work tomorrow. He is really has no interest in food , so I will get right on this.

Thank you for your information!

I'm hoping that Kingston is feeling better here soon. The blood work is a screening test to help evalute the body as a whole to make sure things are addressed as they should.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kingston. How is everything going?