Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog has some small red spots, including one spot which is

My dog has some small red spots, including one spot which is very red and seems blistered, on his left groin/inner thigh area. I washed the area with chlorhexidine 1%/ketoconazole 0.25% shampoo and conditioner a few hours ago. Now he is very uncomfortable--he is limping and refusing to walk. I had to carry him outside to pee but he wouldn't even pee--wouldn't move at all. Is he just uncomfortable from the wash?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Max. It sounds like he possibly has a staph (bacteria) infection on his skin. This can cause the red irritated areas that can be painful or even itchy. I would do two things tonight. I would give him some benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours and a dose of tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 8 hours. This will help reduce the pain and inflammation that is present. Also you can apply a thin coating of neosporin to the area a few times daily. keep it clean and dry also. I would avoid using a conditioner on this area in the future when washing because it can cause more irritation. If you do not see improvement in 24 to 48 hours it would be best to have him seen by your vet or if at any time it gets worse. He may need some oral antibiotics to help him get rid of this infection all together if topical treatment and benadryl/tylenol does not work. I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate if you have any additonal questions or concerns. I would be happy to help .Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Thank you!

Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doing well, thanks!

Glad to hear!