Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have a 12 year old husky/shepard mix dog. Shes seems to

We have a 12 year old husky/shepard mix dog. She's seems to be in great health not overweight, very active but in the last two months we have noticed every now and then she seems to shiver with her whole body. She does not seem to notice and acts normal but we are wondering is she having some type of seizer . It does not bother her we're wondering if it is because of age. I plan to bring her to her vet but curious if this is something normal with older dogs

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

Sorry you have experienced these episodes

Dr. Altman :

How long do these episodes last and is her head also shivering?

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a moment since it looks like you are having difficulties with live chat...

Customer:

Her whole body shakes including her head just once very quickly. We thought it looks like someone who has a tick disorder

Customer:

It lasts only about one second but we notice it

Dr. Altman :

So it is not a tremble/ like when a person has the chills. It is more like a twitch? How frequent would you estimate she is having these episodes?

Dr. Altman :

And so this might happen then not happen again for a long period of time?

Customer:

It happens a least 3 times a day but we once witnessed it happen five times. they do not happen one after another. It will just happen randomly throughout the day. it does not seem to bother her though. she has no reaction to it. but it is a bizarre new thing for us to see her do.

Dr. Altman :

Is it when she is laying down or more when she is active? Sometimes these occur when trying to drink water or take a biscuit from your hand...

Customer:

it happens when she is standing still

Customer:

Never when she is laying down

Dr. Altman :

Not trying to look left/ right/ up/ down when it happens?

Customer:

no she will just be standing next to us. and all of a sudden a twitch happens. she is not looking in any direction just standing normal

Dr. Altman :

Would you say they are occurring more frequently?

Customer:

yes. last month or maybe two months ago was the first time i saw her do it and she would only do it once a week but now i notice 3 to 5 times a day

Dr. Altman :

My suspicion is that there is a misfiring of the brain causing these if the head and body are both doing the motion. It would be great if you were able to videotape her for your vet for an hour monitoring for the behavior. I would also recommend logging when it happens, what she is doing when it happens, and perhaps a one to ten in severity of a twitch on a calendar. This really can help hone in on the problem and if they are becoming more progressive or severe consider a referral to a neurologist

Dr. Altman :

I definitely do not think this is something normal with older dogs

Dr. Altman :

Is it something that might require treatment with medications? If it is not bothering her but is starting to effect her daily life (which it might if it progresses further) medications might be indicated

Dr. Altman :

But a video would really be helpful

Dr. Altman :

If it were just her body it could be spinal in origin but with it including her head I would suspect it could be a petite mal seizure or a misfiring of the cortex of the brain

Customer:

i will try and catch it on video. but if it does get progressively worse i will see my vet

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything this evening?

Customer:

no thank you

Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman