Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog just recently started having his tail sticking right

My dog just recently started having his tail sticking right sideways and he knows its not right and looks like he tries to bite it. Almost like his little bum cheek has a Charlie horse. It doesn't seem painful and when I talk to him and say hello is attention seems diverted and it stops. Only this evening did he roll onto his back and wiggle around a bit almost to see if it would make it stop..but it didn't. Any thoughts?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and sorry to hear about Ion. That is good though that he is not in pain. The first thing I would check is his anal glands to make sure they are not clogged or full or infected. You can do that if you are comfortable expressing his anal glands which i would not recommend because it is a stinky messy job. So i would have your vet or vet techs do it. If one is clogged or infected it can be uncomfortable and make a funny feeling in the rear end so i would check that. If that is normal your vet can check to make sure there has been no ligament damage in the tail. The tail is made up of a bunch of bones connected by ligaments and if one is damaged then it may not sit regularly. It may not be super painful but it can look different. So your vet can tell by a good exam and feeling the tail up and down. but as long as it he is not hurting it may not require much medication or treatment. But again definitely have his anal glands checked just to make sure. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ion (Eye-On). How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to be ok. He hasn't really done it since I spoke with you. I cleaned his bum (seemed ok but gave it a good cleaning anyway, just in case) I thank you for your time and looking into it even after you responded in the first place.

You are welcome. Glad to hear everything is good this far!