How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29984
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has had fever (103 to 105) off and on for 3 weeks, weighed

This answer was rated:

My dog has had fever (103 to 105) off and on for 3 weeks, weighed 12 pounds, has lost 3. No appetite, vomiting, mucus in throat, bad breath. Hasn't eaten in 6 days. is currently receiving glucose and antibiotics IV.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

What types of tests have been performed by the vet?

What results did the vet tell you?

Has the vet recommended any additional tests yet?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Bloodwork, plain xray. Negative results. She had N & V until I switched her to a lmted ingredient diet 3 mos. ago. Until that time, she was on famotidine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


He did say she may have endocarditis.


 

Okay.
Well, at this point, this is otherwise called a fever of unknown origin.

Fever of Unknown Origin

This next link is very important to read in detail, probably a few times:

Fever Link 2

STarting intravenous fluids. Very good
Using antibiotics as a precaution. Also, very good

But, got to get to the underlying cause.

Additional testing to absolutely ask the vet about should include:
1. An abdominal ultrasound. Yields great information if there are any changes in the liver, kidneys, abdominal lymph nodes, and gastrointestinal tract.

2. If there is any possibility...any....to being exposed to ticks, ask about a blood test for tick borne diseases. Very important and may change the antibiotic the vet is using.

If any continued nausea and vomiting, ask about starting some Cerenia immediately. An excellent once a day anti-vomiting/anti-nausea drug.

Lastly, ask if they could call a internal medicine specialist for a little guidance as well. Persistent fever is very serious and some of the causes like cancer, certain infections, and autoimmunes diseases can be very tricky to diagnose. Very sorry to hear about everything that is going on.

Just saw you second response:
With heart related concerns, that ultrasound would be great. So, it would be a bicavity ultrasound. A specialist can easily evaluate the heart and abdomen at the same time.
I hope that information has been helpful.

Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Andy,


2 days later, tick panel was negative. U/S of heart neg., abd. shows thickened stomach wall and distended bowel. Izzy hasn't eaten in 9 days now. IV removed today. Today given IV steroid and later, an IM steroid. Vet says if she doesn't eat by tomorrow morning, she likely has intestinal cancer and nothing more can be done.

Hello,
I am very sorry to hear what is happening, but I do agree with your vet's guess.

Unfortunately, regardless of the cause, if her quality of life cannot be improved with therapy, than we know a tough decision will soon have to come.

You have my deepest sympathy and support.
Dr. Andy
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


She has an appetite but this morning she had nausea - no vomiting. She's on a steroid by mouth and reglan. Vet thinks it will be helpful to switch to a hydrolyzed protein dog food. After that, she may have exploratory surgery.

Understood.
I'll hope for the best.

Good Luck!