Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 12 year old golden retriever started gnawing at her R leg

My 12 year old golden retriever started gnawing at her R leg joint. Her fur is gone, one small open area <1.5cm, area feels little warm, does not appear painful when palpated. Should I be concerned, being a nurse should I zip her to puppy ER?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Pumpkin.

tough to recommend an ER vet visit if the leg is not swollen, ulcerated, or there is no draining wound. Very difficult to assess if warm to the touch, but if the warmth persists, you'll need to get into any vet for an evaluation.

Also, not obviously painful, so that takes away the emergency need, but I do feel that a examination schedule by tomorrow is a good idea.

We don't know if this is a joint issue, something within the skin, or maybe even some type of hypersensitivity reaction.

To try and reduce the chewing you can give some benadryl antihistamine. Might help a bit.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

If for any reason the skin changes, gets warmer, she does seem painful, or she seems agitated by it, that would be indications to get into a vet sooner.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much...I am just hoping it isn't a deer tick since she likes to run and chase rabbits and cats! She currently isn't chewing her fur off, but a little bendryl tonight won't hurt her! I just love this old girl!

You are very welcome. Sorry to hear about the problem.
Good Luck!

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?